Dance Dance Revolution was the first game in a series of Dance Dance Revolution titles. The arcade edition was released on November 21st, 1998 in Japan. A Japanese console version was subsequently released on April 10th, 1999.
General Information Edit
- First DanceDanceRevolution game to be released.
- Unlike later DanceDanceRevolution games, players were penalized for hitting panels when no arrows were scrolling up.
- The arrow skin was "FLAT", meaning all arrows were the same color regardless of beat.
- First mix to introduce several elements that later became staple parts of the series, including Dancemania licenses and DanceDanceRevolution characters.
- Total number of songs: 11
The soundtrack for DanceDanceRevolution included 11 new songs.
- BUTTERFLY / SMILE.dk
- HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN MELLOW / OLIVIA PROJECT
- KUNG FU FIGHTING / BUS STOP feat. Carl Douglas
- LET'S GET DOWN / JT PLAYAZ
- LITTLE BITCH/ The Specials
- MY FIRE (UKS Remix) / X-TREME
- STRICTLY BUSINESS / MANTRONIK vs. EPMD
- THAT'S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) / K.C. & The Sunshine Band
- This game marked the Bemani debut of Naoki Maeda, who wrote all the new songs in the arcade Dance Dance Revolution games until MAX2.
- Although not 'officially' released until November 21st, the date November 20th later became known as the "birthdate" of DDR.
- The game spawned some of the most popular songs in the series, despite having only 11 in total. Staple DDR songs from this mix include BUTTERFLY, PARANOiA, and TRIP MACHINE.